Sandbagged!

Sandbagged!
Photograph by Steve Barnett

Monday 6 February 2012

Piscatoribus Sacrum



Charles Cotton's Little Fishing House still stands, unlike his home Beresford Hall.  Anglers fishing on these hallowed waters can still enjoy the delight of seeing it on its little peninsular.


The artist, Lady Caroline Hervey-Bathurst, using water colours to capture the Little Fishing House on its peninsular setting

Peeping inside, in need of a sweep and wipe over with a cloth but perfectly ready for you to sit in comfort whilst eating your lunch from a marble table.

Charles Cotton enjoyed the Great Outdoors but he didn't see the need to rough it at mealtimes
There are many things we can still explore here in the cradle of fly fishing's history but let's save them for a fishing trip later this year when the season is underway.  All these historic places and artefacts are very delightful, but they are insignificant when we actually catch trout or grayling, descended from the very fish that Charles Cotton and Izaak Walton fished for and caught here in the waters of the Dove in Beresford Dale, which we will do together in a few months time.

Regular Rod

14 comments:

  1. What a special time in angling history.
    Simple elegance.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure, it really is. The new regime, with a new keeper in charge of everything bodes very well. He works like Trojan and is determined that it will be restored to its former greatness.

      Regular Rod

      Delete
  2. Wonderful. And oh my, all that green! Suddenly, I'm anxious for spring...(and I just got 41 inches of snow dumped on me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 41 inches! Ooh! We could do with a bit of that to charge our aquifers...

      Regular Rod

      Delete
  3. Will you set out with a fly I send to you on your first trip to the river?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it barbless and I just might...

      :)

      Regular Rod

      Delete
  4. What a nice spot to break from the arduous task of fishing and partake of a nice bottle of red!

    Regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if things go according to Andy the keeper's grand plan, you should be able to do exactly that in the not too distant future!

      Regular Rod

      Delete
  5. Now that is what I call doing it the right way. That place looks about as sweet as it gets. Great pics and thanks for sharing. I look forward to future posts. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen the Robert Adam fishing hut at Keddlestone? Gorgeous. There's a wonderful Country Life issue dedicated to fishing huts, I think it came out in 2008. I shall check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine the ladies and children setting out from the Adam Fishing/Boat house in punts, equipped with gold painted dining chairs and being rowed by faithful servants, to a nicely pre-baited spot for gudgeon!
      ;)

      Regular Rod

      Delete
  7. Hi RR Looking forward to your talk tonight in Bakewell. I am sending links to your excellent blog to fishing friends in the USA these are most appreciated One small suggestion, I am a great fan of your SBSs and I have tied sturd'y fancy and LDO (parentheses). I have to find the SBSs by wading(ha ha) through the blog archive. Is there any way that you could have an index of SBSs to help lesser mortals ? Thanks Tim Walton PS I am the person you kindly helped last year to understand to contents of a gift fly tying box complete with materials.

    By Tim on Piscatoribus Sacrum at 09:25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thought of that Tim. I will do so immediately, it is a very good idea! Thank you.

      Regular Rod

      Delete
  8. Just seen the index, thanks a lot very useful, just what I needed. The talk last night was great too. I have more than enough tying to do to keep me busy until the weather gets a bit better. Sorry I didn't say hello at the end last night but I had to get back.

    ReplyDelete